|Day 15, Another attempt at silverpoint, another tulip bulb but this one has grown some roots in water|
' Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding , make even more art.'
That's a philosophy I agree with, just get on with it! at worst it ends up in the bin and you start over, which is better than doing nothing and regretting it. So with that said, I'm not sure what to make of tonights effort. Seems a bit pathetic, but seemingly it will develop over time and it's quite nice to do.
I had tried Silverpoint last year and not really been overly impressed with my efforts but everything takes time....right!? I've always loved those Renaissance silverpoint drawings, especially those by Durer so wanted to try it.... Guess I was always going to be a bit disappointed with my effort!
|'Two Seated Lions' by Albrect Durer 1521. Copyright Wikimedia Commons|
So what did I do?
First I referred to this brilliant website on silver point. If I can produce a website on vellum that's half as good I'll be very happy!
First off you have to prepare the paper with a several coats of the ground. I did this first with ready prepared ground and then decided to add some colour to it to give a more natural colour, it's not unlike natural vellum. I used a Stillman & Birn Zeta series sketchbook and the paper reacted well tho the ground. I can't remember quite what colours added, raw umber and some others, red and transparent yellow plus a touch of neutral tint. About 6 - 8 coats of ground was applied making sure it was fully dry between layers.
|Preparing the surface with layers of Golden silverpoint ground, I added some colour to give this natural finish.|
Thereafter I worked with the silverpoint by drawing with the silver medium in it, which is called the metalpoint. You can use other metals too, copper and gold give a different finish. I only had one size piece of silver and could have done with a finer piece but I filed it a little at the end.
|Hatching with the metalpoint - I added some white gouache to give more depth|
I did get impatient with the lack of tone and decided to add gouache to highlight, not sure if that's what you are supposed to do but I can't see why not. It seemed to work well with the natural background.
So this is my final piece, I'll post it again in a few months time if I remember, when hopefully it will have developed more tone. I guess I can add more to it if needed at a later date.
|Final drawing ....just need to wait now and see how it develops with oxidation. This photograph gives a more accurate colour than the others but is a bit dark. Maybe I'll try another one sometime.|
Not sure when day 16 will appear as I've got too much other stuff to do this week but will try my best!