|On day 13 I mounted the natural vellum and day 14 I started this painting of a magnolia leaf skeleton but didn't have time to finish it.|
Wednesday, 29 April 2015
Day 13 and 14 Sidetracked by Vellum
I was sidetracked on day 13 and didn't paint or draw anything for the challenge! Instead I attended to a job that has been perplexing me since I returned home from London....the slight warping in my larger works on vellum! Although Kelmscott vellum sits reasonably flat at smaller sizes, when it's larger it can easily buckle and any exposure to humidity over time can cause this warping in small works too. Natural and manuscript vellum are thinner than Kelmscott and even more prone to warping. So on day 13 instead of painting I spent time trying to mount some pieces of vellum. For day 14, I painted on the vellum.
Recently I've being doing some research for a new website I'm building which is all about vellum painting. I discovered that years ago miniatures were glued to playing cards to keep them flat, so I decided that it might not be too difficult to do it myself! I purchased rabbit skin glue and a variety of archival artist panels. Some are thin, about 1/8th inch and others are deep and cradled. I'd seen a few works on vellum at the Park Walk gallery last week, Carol Woodin's work was beautifully mounted on a deep panel whereas Kate Nessler's was not mounted. Both looked amazing but it's nice to have the option of presenting work in different ways and I want to be able to give my students the right recipe for mounting their work successfully if they wish. At the moment it's experimental but so far the results seem pretty encouraging.....but lets see how these first trials hold up over time.