Friday, 24 February 2012

More flowers 30 Day Challenge

It's about time I uploaded some of the flowers from my 30 day flower challenge, so here we go with a Iris reticulata hybrid, I think it's  'Katharine Hodgkin', which is quite a pale version
Also I have lots of the regular dark blue I. reticulata in the garden too, which I painted it for my SBA Diploma portfolio ( image below)  That was over a year ago and it seems like a distant memory now. It's good to paint it again and this one has to be my favourite iris

I spent about  40 minutes on this one, it's not the greatest painting but has a nice delicate quality.

'Katherine Hodgkin' 40 minute watercolour study
Botanical Illustration of Iris reticulata from the SBA Diploma portfolio. I think I sold this one, can't remember where though. It's a very dark purple so plenty violet diox and soem Indanthrene blue too


  1. Beautiful Diane! Nice to see a different cultivar and with it all named. I bet you have a lovely garden.

    By the way, have you noticed on the your post for the 29th June 2011 that there's loads of white space afterwards, like a gap, as if the return bar was touched for too long by accident? Maybe it's just my computer, but there is a massive gap in the posts on your blog until the one before the 29th June (going back in time)... Just thought I'd let you know.

    1. Thanks Jess, I'm afraid I don't have a very lovely garden it's all overgrown and untidy, which is OK with me and the birds, I've let the columbine and foxgloves seed everywhere but last year I neglected it more than usual because of the very aggressive nesting seagulls! but it has lots of interesting plants and looks nice in the summer.
      I did know about the annoying gap thanks and have been unable to sort it - I was a bit perplexed and gave up so I'm glad you reminded me. Think I've sorted it by resorting to the HTML editor - somehow a strange invisible table had crept into the post. Thanks :)

  2. The Iris is among my favourite flowers. Such lovely markings and a gorgeous colour. We have some in our garden but goodness knows which they are. Well done for being able to name yours.