Sunday 3 July 2011

Primula vulgaris on kelmscott Vellum, SBA exhibition 2012

I've been working on this painting of Primula vulgaris on vellum for what seems like weeks ....it's finally  finished..... well almost!I hope to exhibit it at the SBA show, when I'll be applying for full membership in Feb 2012. Here's a few detail photos and the preparatory graphite work. I should have taken more photos of the process but forgot, sorry.

Finished! Primula vulgaris on Kelmscott vellum
Original graphite....spot the difference. I added an extra flower in the gap on the right....works better! also the roots. Poor plant was pulled from its pot and suspended in a retort stand for this. Love roots!

The slightly labourious tonal graphite is time well spent when it somes to painting. the continuous tone technique is not so different from thae dry brush methof used when painting on vellum

I'm goint to use these two for my business cards!

Love that little bit of pink...It's little things like that that make the painting...in my opinion

4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful Dianne - though I'm not the keenest fan of roots yours are beautifully elegant and have convinced me to have a go! A gorgeous page beautifully composed x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dianne - Thank you very much for your lovely comment on my blog. I am just admiring your beautiful Primula - I absolutely love the detail. As Vicki has commented - a gorgeous study!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply a dream for me that I'm a beginner
    http://vuotoincornice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep coming back to this image - it blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete